Nutrition Basics For Better Health
Here are some nutrition basics to act as guidelines to start you on your path to better health. These are guidelines I advise my patients to follow.
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid coffee, caffeinated beverages, juices and sodas. Dairy should be raw milk or drink almond milk or coconut milk. Avoid milk if you cannot tolerate it.
- Eat mainly vegetables, protein, some nuts and some fruit. Half your plate should be vegetables.
- Eat as much organic food as possible especially your eggs, animal protein and veggies/fruits. Conventional foods are filled with sugar, table salt and nasty chemicals including pesticides, antibiotics and hormones. Check out The Dirty Dozen. This is a list of the 12 most contaminated fruits and veggies that should be purchased organic.
- Switch to Himalayan crystal salt for cooking, avoid sugar and simple carbohydrate foods (grains especially wheat) as much as possible. Some people may need to eliminate wheat or grains entirely. Grains are inflammatory foods that contribute to weight gain and many health conditions including autoimmune disorders. 7 out of 10 people are gluten sensitive (wheat intolerant).
- Eat at least 50% raw veggies throughout the day.
- Cook mostly with Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) to support your metabolism. Cut out trans fats. Don’t avoid good fats from unrefined CO, raw EV Olive Oil, avocados, grass-fed butter and grass-fed meats. This is your primal energy source.
- Incorporate fermented foods into your diet like Eden’s sea-salted organic sauerkraut. Organic fermented foods provide good probiotics to support your digestion and immune system. And sauerkraut is naturally high in Vitamin C.
- Prepare your stomach for digestion by having a cup of warm water with a squeeze of fresh lemon 15-30 minutes before meals.
- Don’t drink large amounts of liquid (just sip) during your meal to keep the digestive enzymes undiluted.
- Sit down and enjoy your meal. Look at the food, smell it, taste it and chew it well so that your mind digests the food so that your stomach digests it even better.